Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

'27' Sells Out! Should You Shell Out Big Bucks on eBay for a Copy?


As an avid comic reader, and former chronic collector, it’s frustrating to think you’ve missed out on the next big thing. It used to be that the words “sold out” were enough to get me in a panicky rush to begin an obsessive search for that comic I neglected to place on my pull list. Suddenly I’d find myself calling those out of the way stores and driving around town to obtain a book that until recently hadn’t even been on my radar.

Issue #1 of 27 might have been one of those titles had I not requested it three weeks ago from my comic shop. “Keep it safe,” my comics proprietor said as I picked up my books yesterday at lunch. “It’s sold for $25 on eBay already.” Oh boy. I’ve been there.

A few years back, when news of Captain America’s death hit the mainstream news, I instantly felt my heart sink after contacting a comic shop to find they were out of copies of issue #25, which chronicled the star-spangled character’s demise. Swept up in the panic that I might not ever get to read the book, or that a first-run issue might become cost-prohibitive, I shelled out $25 (plus shipping) on the day of publication just to get my hands on the book.  Conduct a search on eBay for that same issue today and you’ll find it priced significantly less.

My advice? Ask yourself before you go nuts how badly you want the book. Do you want it to read because you’ve heard it is good or because the book is hot?

The prices for 27 right now are fueled by a temporary demand and will eventually come down. A second printing is going to be released along with the second issue. Of course it is the holidays and if you are in the giving spirit, then by all means choose “Buy it Now” for $19.99 (or more) to get your hands on a copy of a comic book that is only a day old.

Shop wisely dear readers.

No comments: