Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Cape Town Capsule Reviews, 2/9/11 Releases


By Don M. Ventura

Ultimate Captain America #2
Marvel Comics
««««

Maybe it’s because I haven’t read many Ultimates titles since the second volume of Mark Millar’s run on the book, I forgot what a louse this universe’s Captain America could be. That made the first issue a less enjoyable for me. Sometimes I let my “old school” way keep me from enjoying these takes on the characters.

I’ve warmed up with this second issue by Jason Aaron. This title is fun. We begin in the hospital where Cap is disgruntled after being capsized by Frank Simpson, the Vietnam-era super soldier who is one rough character.

In a wonderful scene Carol Danvers helps Captain America go rogue to follow Simpson to North Korea where S.H.E.I.L.D. believes him to be. Ron Garney’s work is stupendous in this book—and the Apocalypse Now homage on the cover is truly striking.

Where Jonathan Hickman’s Ultimate Thor had an epic feel, Aaron is telling a great adventure yarn with cool twists. Marvel has put its Ultimate Universe in the ablest of hands.

Knight and Squire #5
DC Comics
«««½

When I first started reading this lighthearted mini, I found it charming but don’t have a problem admitting that the heavy English slang kept me from enjoying it wholly. Though I hung in there and have found each succeeding issue more charming and more enjoyable.

This issue has been the best of the bunch. Not because the lightheartedness is wiped away in its final act, but because Paul Cornell has written two very likable protagonists with a friendship unlike many others in comics today.

In this issue, the English Joker learns that he is dying and tries to earn a little street cred before meeting his maker because he has always been considered, well, a joke. Knight and Squire are onto Jarvis Poker’s impending fate and choose to paint him as the villain he’s never become.

Things turn dark when the real deal appears in London to prove who the real villain is. After Action Comics #897, and now here, I’d like to see Cornell jump from Lex Luthor to the Joker.


Incognito: Bad Influences #3
Icon Comics
««««

Incognito: Bad Influences #3 is the third chapter in Ed Brubaker and Sean Davis’ fun noir tale about Zack Overkill, a mostly reformed super criminal on the track of a rogue villain, Simon Slaughter (ahhh… these names only help the story).

We open on a hooded figure, dressed as the 40’s hero Lazarus, dispensing his take on justice on some criminals and a mailman who chose to turned a bling eye to the crimes of which he was aware. This new Lazarus is serious about crime fighting.

Zack and Midas go to see the seemingly omniprescient  Doolittle to get a lead on Slaughter. While things don’t turn out well for Midas, we get a glimpse at who Zack has become over the course of this book and the first Incognito series.

Davis’s style works wonders for this story. He understands perfectly the sources from where Brubaker’s inspiration is drawn. I love the little touches like the masks on the women, the streaks of white in Professor Zeppelin’s hair, and the goggles on Doolittle. The artist continues to produce fantastic covers for this title as well.

Red Robin #20
DC Comics
«««½

I only picked this title up because I read the Teen Titans issue #92, which led into this one. I was at first grumpy after finding that I was reading a crossover that I felt duped into.

Red Robin #20 won me over pretty quickly. I forgot how much I have enjoyed reading Tim Drake and Fabian Nicieza has a strong grasp of the character. The story moves from a tussle with Catman—also written quite well—to the discovery of some nasty Calculator robots that are being used as assassins.

Then the Teen Titans show up and I became even more enamored with the story. Chemistry in a comic book can be a tricky thing, but Nicieza understands what makes these characters tick. While I am a fan of Damian Wayne in Teen Titans, it was great seeing these old friends together. I’m a sucker for this kind of stuff.

The Titans head to stop the robot Calculator from destroying the evening of attendees of the hottest nightclub in town, which leads to a great cliffhanger and back into the next issue of Teen Titans. Fine by me, but I think I may have added a new book to my pull list. You got me DC.

The New Avengers #9
Marvel Comics
««««

The New Avengers is, in my estimation, Brian Michael Bendis’ comfort zone because I find it far superior to his Avengers title which features many of the classic Avengers characters.

We open in 1959 Cuba with Nick Fury apparently running away from Nazis until it is clear he’s drawn them into a trap. This was a classic Nick Fury scene, with sparse dialogue and great suspense drawn with expertise by Howard Chaykin.

We travel immediately to the present where the Avengers are on a stakeout watching the arrival of a woman named Superia who surrounds herself with former H.A.M.M.E.R. agents. While she appears to be up to no good, the Avengers know they have nothing on her. So Thing decides to clobber his way into the thick of it.

The Avengers tussle with the bad guys and the book makes what might be a truly regrettable turn on the last page. Please Bendis, leave her be.

Rating Scale:
Excellent ««««
Good «««
Average ««
Poor «

2 comments:

Matt Todd said...

Ultimate Cap is kind of a jackass. Sometime It's funny I am actually more interested with how Jason Aaron is writing Frank Simpson the antagonist of the story. He (Aaron) has a unique gift of making the villains sympathetic. The second issue was definitely a much stronger issue.
Incognito was maybe my favorite issue this week. Just barely edging out Amazing Spider-Man was Incognito Bad Influences. Ed Brubaker is on fire with this book. Only three issues in but I think Bad Influences is better than the original mini series.
With everything that has come out the past two weeks it is becoming a really great month for comics. If you really want to read something special pick up the Daytripper trade best thing I have read all year. Working on a review for The Comic Panelist hopefully have it up sometime this week.

Don Ventura said...

I bought one issue of 'daytripper' on the recommendation of ifanboy and I loved it. I've been wanting to pick up the trade but my reading pile is a bit out of control. I have Casanova, Sixth Gun, American Vampire, the last Locke & Key trade, and a ton of Invincible. Oy.

And, yeah, this Cap is kind of a prick.