Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Cable Reborn: Nate or Not?


On Saturday's Marvel: Cup o' Joe Panel at SDCC, Joe Quesada officially announced the new project "Cable Reborn" by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness. While I'm always excited for a new yarn by Loeb and McGuiness, I have a (possibly crazy) theory about the forthcoming series I'd like to put out there to insure I attain all possible bragging rights through the appropriate channels.

My Premise: the Cable featured in "Cable Reborn" will NOT be Nathan Summers.

My Theory: the Cable featured in "Cable Reborn" will be Scott Summers (Cyclops).

My Reasoning: Several factors have led me to propose this theory. First let's look to the comments made by Marvel EIC Axel Alonso and other panelists at Friday's Marvel: Year of the X-Men panel. It was made relatively clear, without spoiling the particulars, that Cyclops would not be appearing in the pages of Uncanny X-Men #1 or Wolverine and the X-Men #1. In fact, the teaser image shown for Uncanny X-Men #1 shows Emma Frost supported by several silhouetted characters. However, to the best of my recollection (and I was there in person for the panel), no one said that "Scott" would not by in either of the books (remember this for later).

Secondly, we already know that Wolverine and Cyclops have a huge battle royale in the pages of X-Men: Schism #5 as evidenced by preview art shown at the panel, so Scott survives at least that long. Now, so far many people are speculating that Scott will die. I have a hard time believing this for one very important reason: I don't think there is any plausible explanation that any X-Man would follow Logan if he killed Scott. Furthermore, I don't think Logan could live with himself. What I do think is plausible? Logan ends up cutting off one of Scott's arms during the battle.

With me so far? So we now have a Scott Summers/Cyclops missing an arm and, conveniently, we have the severed mechanical arm of his son (the only thing left after his death in Second Coming). In the above teaser, the only parts of Cable's body we see are the mechanical arm and a glowing eye. Scott already has glowing eyes, and the transplantation of Cable's arm onto himself would make Scott fit the bill.

Now that the events of Schism have irrevocably changed the X-Men and Scott, and Scott has taken the arm of his deceased son, Scott changes his codename to Cable. Now we have a Scott Summers in Uncanny X-Men, but no Cyclops (because he's changed his name to Cable (just so we're 100% clear)). Will this come to pass? Well we'll probably have to wait until the last pages of Schism or the first issue of Uncanny X-Men to find out.

One last thing, just in case this happens instead: I have an even crazier theory that the new Cable will be Hope Summers. I don't have very much to base this on but if anyone were to take Cable's name I would think Hope would be the most likely candidate.

Max Beckman is a manager at Pulp Fiction in Long Beach, CA and CheapGraphicNovels.com. You can follow him on Twitter @CheapGNsdotcom and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pulpfictioncomics. Pulp Fiction can be found on the web at www.pulpfictiononline.com and at 1742 Clark Ave. Long Beach, CA 90815.

No comments: