Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Legion Lost: Review

Legion Lost
DC COMICS

Written by DAN ABNETT and ANDY LANNING; Art and cover by OLIVIER COIPEL and ANDY LANNING
««««
 
A few months ago I reviewed DC Comics 100 page special 'Legion of The Damned'. If you have not picked up that book, do yourself a favor and grab it...and while you are at it, mow a few more lawns, take in some over time, or beg and plead with your parents for a raise in your allowance and pick up 'Legion Lost'.
 
As excited as I am for DC Comics New 52 there is absolutely no reason to forget or throw out what has come before.
 
I am a huge fan of this particular take on The Legion of Superheroes and I haven't put this trade down since I got it.
 
This story takes place right after 'Legion of the Damn', where an event involving several members of the Legion disappear after trying to close a rift in space.
 
Aboard a space ship Apparition, Brainic 5.1, Chameleon, Kid Quantum, Live Wire, Monstress, Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy and Umbra awake to find themselves on the other side of the galaxy with no means to get home.
 
Writers DnA, must be huge fans of Star Trek, because where 'Legion of The Damned' plays like a superhero take on The Borg invasion, 'Legion Lost' feels like Voyager.
 
'Legion Lost' is a 12 part story where you pretty much get it all...great drama, one amazing action sequence after the other, character development, inner turmoil, betrayal, death, murder and in the end, a heroic sacrifice.
 
When these characters where given to DnA and (yet to be known artist superstar) OLIVIER COIPEL I have no idea what the mandate was from DC Comics. It's fairly obvious that the Legion of Superheroes needed a shake up but I don't think any input was given from the editors. I could be way off but these stories just don't feel like typical DC Comic superhero stories. And I mean this in the most wonderful way.
 
'Legion Lost' is highly entertaining and the energy and the "what is going to happen next" feel that started with "Legion of The Damned" continues here in 'Legion Lost', which then also continued in the series that followed 'Legion'.
 
I don't know if DC Comics is planning on putting together a trade for DnA's 'Legion' run, but they would be foolish not too.
 
Reading 'Legion Lost' made me fall in love with the Legion of Superheroes again, which now makes me wonder what is happening with them post DC's New 52.
 
LONG LIVE THE LEGION!

3 comments:

carnivalofsins00 said...

I've never read any Legion stuff, and I really don't plan on it come September. However, the name that caught my attention on this book is Oliver Coipel's. Still don't know if I would like it as much as you did.

Jerry Ahern said...

He did almost 3 years worth of Legion stuff...its not nearly as clean as his Marel stuff...but it was awesome...

In the Legion's first arc, the big baddie is Ra's Al Ahul.

COME ON...thats awesome.

Don Ventura said...

And the book was in the beloved cosmic hands of DNA.