Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Comic Review: 'Flashpoint: Deadman and the Flying Graysons’ #1


By Cristian Casares

Flashpoint: Deadman and the Flying Graysons #1
DC Comics
««½

With his parents still alive and well, Dick Grayson (now an adult) never became Robin and is still part of a traveling circus show with its star, Deadman.  This is one of the mini-series that really interested me right off the bat; however, it really didn't live up to my expectations.

For the most part I like J.T. Krul. Most recently his Teen Titans book has been great, so I don't know what happened here. I may be in the minority but I was so uninterested by this. What each Flashpoint tie-in has done so far has been to expand the world of Flashpoint and its respective characters. In this book these characters felt kind of two-dimensional. I like Dick Grayson but he just blends in along with his parents and Deadman is too much of a jerk to find likable—even one bit. However, not everything is bad about this book.

There were some really interesting things that happened in this issue. Not to spoil it, but Dr. Fate seems to have a very important role in this. I'm not familiar with Fate at all, and I don't find him all that interesting to be honest, but the little panel time he had was really good, and I can't wait to see what happens.

Mikel Janin is on pencil duty while Ulises Arreola is working on colors. Over all, it looks beautiful. Seems kind of like Frazier Irving's work just not as dark. It was kind of hard to distinguish the Graysons and Deadman when they weren't in costumes.

So far, each mini has done well enough in part that they are there to expand the world of Flashpoint and that none are essential to the main story. While I didn't completely love this issue, it wasn't terrible, and things did pick up towards the end. There's a feeling in my gut that someone might not live through the next two issues, and I can't wait for the next issue.

Rating Scale:
Excellent ««««
Good «««
Average ««
Poor «

No comments: