Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ormon and Roddy McDowall: Separated at Birth



While I was reading Superior this week, something strange occurred.  As soon as I began to read the space monkey Ormon's dialogue I heard Roddy McDowall.  Usually every character sounds like me while I'm reading unless they're speaking in a dialect clearly written to distinguish their voice (read this week's British-slang heavy Knight and Squire by Paul Cornell for example).  I didn't immediately put it together that McDowall had a lengthy resume of apework (he played Cornelius is some of the Planet of the Apes films).  In my head, I was thinking of Peter Vincent from Fright Night.

Earlier this month, I posted something similar after Cornell said he heard Sydney Greenstreet's voice when he wrote Gorilla Grodd in Action Comics.  If you've read Superior and you're unfamiliar with McDowall's voice, jump about 50 seconds into this schlocky special Encounters of the Fourth Kind.  That's my Ormon!

No comments: