Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Spider-Man's Latest Foil: Rhys Ifans


Now the casting for the next Spider-Man movie just got really interesting.  Rhys Ifans (best known as the oafish roommate of Hugh Grant in Notting Hill) has just been announced as the villain for the 2012 release.  But who will he be playing?  Unknown right now.  There have been a lot of rumors about Venom being the baddie but something just rings false about that.  Spider-Man 3 was a critical disaster and I doubt the filmmakers would return to that well too soon.  My guess is that they might actually go back to the Green Goblin as the villain considering that character's ties to the Gwen Stacy storyline.

Kudos to the producers and Director Marc Webb for having specific actors in mind as opposed to having marquee names—much in the way original Spider-Man director Sam Raimi went with actors like Alfred Molina, Thomas Hayden Church, and Topher Grace to go up against the web-slinger.

Now let's hear who they're getting Ifans to play!

2 comments:

Jerry Ahern said...

Love this guy. His presence screams Vulture to me...but I some how doubt this is the case.

I'm going fan boy and saying Shocker or Electro.

Don Ventura said...

My first thought was Vulture too. He has that gangly body that would be perfect for that character. But Vulture is kind of a ridiculous character. I'd like to see Electro, but I question if he'd be a villain who could carry a film. Now who's the fanboy?