Search This Blog

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Red Hulk Meets the Avengers

Who’s ready for his close-up? Red Hulk. Brian Michael Bendis is going to incorporate him into both of his ongoing Avengers titles. After reading last week’s Hulk I thought the Red Hulk could definitely be an asset to a team book as long as he’s properly characterized and isn’t just there to pound things.

Art by Immonen from
New Avengers #7
Thunderbolt Ross has been a formidable foe for the Green Hulk (I’m aware that’s not his name, but I gotta distinguish between the two here!) for years; I pray he doesn’t become a background character who says things like “Maybe I should knock something over” or “Count me in.” This has been a major beef of mine with some of Bendis’ Avengers characters, specifically Wolverine and Spider-Man.

Bendis shouldn’t present Red Hulk as a heavyweight thug, he could be the strategist of the team, even more so than “Bucky” Cap. My fingers and toes are crossed that this is going to work because, like I wrote last week, there is a lot of potential for this character. One last word, I expect that Stuart Immonen (New Avengers) and John Romita Jr. (New Avengers) to kill with their interpretations on the character; Immonen because there appears to be no limit to his abilities and Romita Jr. because his run on The Incredible Hulk was fantastic.

2 comments:

Jerry Ahern said...

question....when Red Hulk reverts back to Ross...does he have that mustache??

This is a serious question?

Bendis, in my opinion takes lame ass characters and make them awesome.

For ex. I never thought Luke Cage was a cool character.

Now, I love him.

I think Bendis can use the RED HULK and make him much cooler than he is now. If they just wanted some meat head in there to pound the stuffing out of characters they would have put the Juggernaunt on the team.

Don Ventura said...

I'm really hoping he does right by the character, because he can be so hit and miss with some of his characterizations on this team.