Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Superman: Earth One Preview


Yesterday I posted a not so complimentary review of Superman #703. My two main beefs with J. Michael Straczynski’s interpretation of the character are: 1) the writer does not have Superman’s voice down, and 2) the story is not an interesting one.

The original hardcover Superman: Earth One has been previewed throughout the DC comics published last week. So my initial thoughts based on the six brief pages we’ve been allowed to read is that the writing is not up to par, but the art is phenomenal.

Straczynski may simply be the wrong writer for Superman. This just doesn’t feel right. I understand that this book is totally out of continuity, allowing the writer to offer his take and play with the origin however he wants, but the characterization has to be familiar. Is that wrong of me to expect? There is a scene where Clark comes off like a dismissive jerk with the landlady at the motel he makes his home. This Clark Kent does not appear to have been raised by John and Martha.

On the other hand, Shane Davis’s art is breathtakingly good. There isn’t a single misstep with any of the preview panels. The drawing of Clark stepping out into Metropolis stopped me in my tracks.

This is not a complete reservation of judgment. I’ll read Superman: Earth One when it is released later this month and offer a complete opinion then.

No comments: