Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Marvel Comic Book Prices: Just a Little Lower Please


Earlier this month at the New York Comic-con, DC Comics announced that there would be an across the board price-point change to $2.99 (down from $3.99). There would be a two page story reduction and a loss of the follow-up stories. I thought that it was a bummer to lose two pages, but really didn’t care about the follow-ups because I rarely read those. Not to be outdone, Marvel Comics announced a price reduction on all new titles launching in January 2011.

Awesome! Uh... wait.

How come only the new titles? I was one of the people who misread the announcement and thought “Sweet… these $3.99 titles are killing my wallet.” DC’s solicitations came out for January and there isn’t a single ongoing that costs more than $2.99.

Marvel’s solicitations: Fifteen ongoing titles with a $3.99 price tag (Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #152, Avengers #9, New Avengers #8, Secret Avengers #9, Captain America #614, Thor #619, The Amazing Spider-Man #652 and #653, Incredible Hulks #620 and #621, Hulk #29, Wolverine #5, X-Men #7, Uncanny X-Force #4, and Uncanny X-Men #532). So not really Marvel's more obscure titles.

I’m sure I’m not alone when I say I’d like to see Marvel take a similarly bold move as DC by bringing comics back down to a more affordable cover price.

Excessior!

No comments: