Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

'Captain America': Red Skull Concept Art Hits the Web


There are some seriously fanboy elements being poured into Captain America: The First Avenger. Super Hero Hype posted a photo from an upcoming issue of SFX Magazine (below) featuring the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) holding the cosmic cube. This sounds like the scene that was shown to attendees of the Captain America panel at the San Diego Comic-Con last summer.
While we haven’t seen a picture of Weaving as Red Skull—only as Johan Schmidt--Comic Book Movie posted the first picture of the concept art for the character (above) and it looks pretty damn true to the comic book character. I was a little surprised by this—happy, but surprised. I was expecting that Weaving would be disfigured with a garish red face. From the looks of these pictures, Schmidt makes a literal transformation into Cap’s ultimate nemesis.
Right now I am as equally excited for this film as I am for Green Lantern; probably because most of it is a period piece which I think will give it a sort of Indiana Jones feel. I also think it’s fantastic that there are so many characters from Cap’s long history (Bucky, Arnim Zola, “Dum Dum” Dugan, etc.). Now let’s cross our fingers that we will see a trailer soon!
Captain America: The First Avenger hits theater on July 22, 2011.

2 comments:

Matt Todd said...

These designs look great. I am really excited for Captain America, Heck I am very excited just to see the trailer. Hopefully in the next few weeks they will put it online. I want the movie to be Great. All the elements are there. They have got a great cast. Chris Evans convinced me he could pull it off with his performance in Sunshine. And in the limited pictures we have seen of the costume they have appeared to really make it work. Raiders of the Lost Ark is perhaps my favorite movie ever and this really seems to be trying to capture that pulp/adventure/superhero vibe.Hopefully Joe Johnston can pull this one off.

Don Ventura said...

I am really crossing my fingers on this one. Joe Johnston has already come out to apologize for the Wolfman, so that is good. I'd love to see a trailer too. I think they must be done shooting at this point since they started back in July.