Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The 'X' that Started it All: 'X-Men' #149


I couldn’t tell you much of what the book was about, but I distinctly remember the first comic book that got me into collecting comic books. It was Uncanny X-Men #149 featuring a mediocre cover by the late great Dave Cockrum that has all of the X-Men walking through an ominous cave. Cockrum has been the creator of many iconic X-Men covers, but the team creeping through the dark holding flashlights (ala Scooby Doo) just didn’t seem to strike the right chord.
Nonetheless I picked this one up because I always liked the idea of superhero teams (I was raised on the Superfriends but my tastes were maturing past space monkeys and magical twins).  Perhaps it was because we couldn’t afford stacks of comic books and a book with five or six heroes in it seemed to give me the most bang for my quarters.
The reason this issue always stuck in my head though was the unforgettable the costume worn by the youngest member of the team: Kitty Pryde. Up until that point in the series Kitty had been wearing the classic black and yellow costume that all of Xavier’s students were relegated to wear upon entry to his oft-attacked academy for the gifted.
Kitty is notorious for her history of tacky costumes, but this was by far the worst she’d crafted. No two pieces of the outfit (and there were a lot of pieces) seemed to go together. It was a shiny gold body suit with green shorts, striped leggings, a sleeveless t-shirt with lightning bolts, and she wore roller skates. She could have been confused for Dazzler’s developmentally disabled sister.  It looked like Destiny put her costume together for her. The costume may have been a joke but its impact on my memory was nothing to laugh at.
The book ended with some guy named Scott Summers and his lady friend being trapped by some cool looking villain named Magneto. The book led into an awesome double-sized issue #150 where the rest of the X-Men take on this Magneto guy then welcome Scott back to the team (apparently his other lady friend had died about a year before that).

No comments: