Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Early 'Thor' Reviews are Positive


I’m going to have to say, the comic book adaptation that I have been I have been the least enthused about this summer is Thor.

There are a handful of reasons if I can be honest. First, the character seems to be a difficult cookie to crack. He can be as un-relatable as a character can get, so it will be a tricky thing to create a likeable protagonist within the confines of a two-hour film while still incorporating an epic super-hero story. Not that Thor isn’t a strong property, but I think that embracing the source material while presenting a mainstream film will be something of a feat.

That said, some of the early words are beginning to get me more excited for the film. Most notably, in my estimation, is the generous review by Comic Book Resources this weekend. While the site did not say the film was flawless, there was much praise to go around from cast, to story, to director. For my money, without giving much away, I was glad to hear that the film continues to go back and forth between Earth and Asgard, even while Thor is repenting on Earth. My fear of a story that remains Earthbound for too long a stretch has been alleviated.

The Hollywood Reporter also ran a highly complementary review of Thor this weekend. It’s beginning to look as though Thor is going to bring it when the film kicks off the summer movie season.

What is “it” you ask? The thunder, of course.

Thor opens nationwide on May 6th.

No comments: