Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011

'Smallville' Concludes its 10 Season Run Tonight


Where will you be when Clark Kent becomes Superman?

That’s the million dollar question. Tonight the CW will air the final episode of it’s long-running series Smallville, which may or may not feature Clark Kent finally donning the most recognizable costume in comic book history. In a few short hours, the episode will air and the questions surrounding the series’ closure will turn to inevitable debate. For ten years this series has built to a number of possible conclusions that might not lead up to the expectations of fans of the series.

Personally, I’d like to see Clark don the costume and simply fly away to his destiny. If I had my druthers, I think a more powerful ending would be to center the second half of episode around the world’s response to the first sighting of Superman. The final scene would be the interview between Lois and Superman, where he discusses why he is here—that is, to protect the world for what threatens it and to inspire others to join the fight for truth, justice and the American way (that last part might need to be elaborated on out of fear of jingoism).

I’m not film writer though. I’m sure I’ll be satisfied with how the writers and producers have chosen to close out the story of Clark Kent’s ascension to Superman. I would guess they’ve suffered through many sleepless nights because there’s an army of fans who have high expectations for this episode.  I’d say, don’t get your hopes up too high or else you might be disappointed with what might be an otherwise satisfactory resolution.

Goodbye Smallville.

The two-hour Smallville series finale airs tonight on the CW at 8 p.m.

No comments: