Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Revisiting Spidey's Origin... Is it Too Soon?


News that Martin Sheen is up for the role of Uncle Ben in Director Marc Webb’s Spider-Man reboot is likely to mean one thing: this is another origin tale.

This is a bit surprising because audiences have already been given an origin story in 2002’s original Spider-Man, a film that, while a decade old, is still fresh in the minds of movie-goers. I figured that Webb and Screenwriter James Vanderbilt would go the route of 2008’s The Incredible Hulk and tell Spider-Man’s origin through a credits-montage to bring the uninitiated up to speed.

I might be jumping the gun though. Spidey’s origin may be handled similar to Batman Begins, with flashbacks that occur throughout the film for impact. However, I suspect this is not the case, considering the weight a veteran actor like Sheen would bring to the film.

Personally I’m fine with an origin tale because Spider-Man has one of the great origins in comics. I think the choice to go back to a villain that has been previously used would be a greater pill to swallow for audiences. With Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy and Rhys Ifans on board as (possibly) the Lizard, this reboot is mining storylines that promise to offer something new to the franchise.

So the question is, are audiences willing to accept a reboot and another origin story? We’ve got two summers to find out when the not-yet-titled Spider-Man film hits theaters on July 3rd, 2012.

2 comments:

Jerry Ahern said...

I am more than sure it will be different without being different...you know?

Also I am willing to bet the suit will be very different, without being different.

I hate saying things like this but I love saying it too.

I can't wait to see the tone and look of this movie.

This is where I am wrong I'm sure, but the original Spiderman movies were so set in the real world (tone wise) I kept hoping to see something more fantastic.

Like a dark fairytale.

I know I know that goes against the character, but most of his villains are versions of animals and creatures, a true reflection of the hero but even he is creepy because of the whole spider image, that I thought if the movie had a darker scarier tone it would be awesome visually.

Don Ventura said...

I agree with you, without agreeing with you!

Actually, if there is one thing I'd love to see from those old original Spider-Man films it's his costume. I think the raised webs kept it from looking silly. We shall see though.

I think they went kind of fantastic with the third one (that wasn't the problem with it though), so I'm fine with the tone of the film. I read somewhere that they are casting for Curt Connors son so I'm sure they are going to go for some heartstring pulling.

Mark Waid did something cool with the Lizard in Amazing Spider-Man recently where if you got close to him you became more feral and you couldn't think straight--I would love to see something like that.