Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Wednesday's Finest: 'Captain America’ #615.1


By Don M. Ventura

Captain America #615.1
Marvel Comics
««««

I remember vividly my earliest impression of Captain America that has stuck with me over the years, and today the image continues to define the character. It was the briefest of scenes from the first issue of Marvel’s Secret Wars.

In it, a handful of Marvel’s greatest heroes and villains have been transported across the galaxy to fight one another. The heroes need a leader. Someone suggests Captain America. Wolverine scoffs, “but he’s just a human—he can’t do anything.” Thor walks up, in an act of unintentional intimidation I’m sure.

“I would walk through the gates of hell by this man’s side.”
Now, I probably messed up the exact quotes because it’s been about 25 years since I’ve read that, but it always stuck with me. Cap is the real deal. He’s a hero through and through. And he remains so today.

He has certainly had some rough years. The idea of the star-spangled patriot had gotten passé by the 90’s and the character just stopped clicking with readers. When I got back into comics in 2001 the Cap was still having a problem finding an audience, even with strong creative teams handling him. Then came Ed Brubaker to take the character and present him in a tough new light that was refreshing, gritty, exciting, but above all, true to the character. He was still a hero.

And I was reminded that whether Steve Rogers is wearing the feathered mask, or parading around as America’s top cop—the Super Soldier—the guy will always be Captain America. Ed Brubaker masterfully takes us inside the heart of hero in Captain America 615.1 as the story focuses on where the character has been, where he is now, and the conflict he must deal with: remaining as the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. or putting the old red, white and blues back on.

We begin with some sparse exposition into Steve’s current life and then his unapologetically sincere longing for his days as a soldier in World War II. Soon we’re following the first day at work of Dave Rickford, a man set to take the mantle of Captain America after “Bucky” Barnes has been extradited to Russia to serve time for his crimes as the Winter Soldier.

Later in the day Faux Cap finds himself caught by A.I.M. agents who are ready to send a nasty message to S.H.I.E.L.D. Thankfully, Steve Rogers is on the case and decides to forego any support when he climbs aboard the A.I.M. hovercraft to save Faux Cap on his lonesome.

There’s a great superhero moment with Steve jumping across the New York skyline, after he’s told Sharon Carter that he’s taking the A.I.M. agents down singularly, and he says “…I’ve got this.” I’m an absolute sucker for acts of superhuman bravery.

Brubaker’s script is matched perfectly by my favorite Captain America artist, Mitch Breitweiser. Once Steve breaks into the secret lair, we’re treated to four wonderfully dynamic pages heavy on action while the hero uses all of his iconic Captain America moves. There are also enough “WHUD”’s “THUNK”’s and “KRAK”’s to keep old school fans satiated.

And what compliments the whole damn thing even more? The wonderful palette of Bettie Breitweiser. I have become an enormous fan of the colorist on Hulk and here as well. The scene in the A.I.M. lair is made so much wonderful with her signature green-blue and the texture she brings to those classic A.I.M. costumes.

For my money, Marvel’s Point One titles have been overall successful for different reasons. If you’ve never picked up an Brubaker penned Captain America book, you can really get a fine idea of what the writer has brought to the character in this issue. For me, he’s restored Steve Rogers to the hero that you could believe a God of Thunder would follow.

Rating Scale:
Excellent ««««
Good «««
Average ««
Poor «

No comments: